Tuesday, June 8, 2010

So, I'm in Boston.

For a lot of you, that shouldn't come as a surprise.  I end up hanging out in the city practically once a month, sometimes even more often.  What makes today different, though, is that now I live here.

See, I'm subletting a childhood friend's place for the summer.  He started trying to find a subletter just a week or so after I'd lackadaisically thought "Hey, wouldn't it be fun to live in Boston for the summer?"  It seemed like a great fit, so I figured I'd give it a shot.  Which was weird for me, because I haven't ever made such a Big Life Decision that quickly.  I take forever just to decide what card to play in Apples to Apples.

The fact that I now live somewhere I've always fantasized about living (since I was young, I've loved cities, Boston most of all) is still a little surreal.  It hasn't sunk in.  Granted, I haven't moved my stuff in yet (and he left a little of his), but I have the key, I'm here now and I've written this month's rent check.

Anyway, now that the backstory's out of the way, let me explain the point of this blog, since that's pretty much a first-post requirement.  It's partly a way for my friends and family to keep up with me, partly a way to make myself write more.  I have a few guidelines for this summer (besides the obvious find-a-job-pay-the-rent-be-able-to-survive).  One of them is "Keep up with this blog," the rest are:

* Have lots of adventures
     This is the big one.  It's pretty much the reason I'm here.
* Create something every day
     Music, a short film, a box that lights up.  Anything, really.
* Make a film of my summer here
     I'm a film student, I need all the practice I can get.
* When in doubt, go for it
     I've always wanted to be bolder.  Now seems like a good time.

Oh, and one other thing - I'll try to include a link to a song with every post.  It'll be fun to find things that match posts thematically.  It'll also be immensely self-satisfying to be like THIS MUSIC IS GOOD SO THERE.  Anyway, I definitely have to start with the song that inspired the name of this blog.

The Billy Nayer Show - Mars

Thank you, and good night.  I'll talk about the apartment itself tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. yo dude i'm following you.

    not like, literally. but ya know. i'm always that kid who posts "first!" on barack obama's status updates, so of course i couldn't resist when it said that no one was following this blog, so i should be the first.


    soooooooooo, when this blog goes mainstream, just remember, i was following it before it was cool.

    actually, i'm following it before it's cool to follow it before it's cool.

    that's how cool i am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this blog. I like Stingray Sam. Raphael is correct, he is cool!

    ReplyDelete