Friday, June 18, 2010

Today, I dreamed I slept until half past three.

Then I woke up and it was 9:23.  Seven minutes later, my alarm went off.  I got up, got ready, and met a friend to watch (and film) him skydive.  We drove an hour and a half to the jump site, along with another Hampshire kid, the friend's parents and a two-year-old they were watching.  There, we were faced with a cloud cover that made it impossible to actually perform any jumps.  We waited for about two and a half hours, but the weather decided that nobody would be falling from the sky today.  Well, not on purpose, anyway.

The highlight of the trip was when the two-year-old turned to the Hampshire girl and said "What's cooking?  You are!" in his best bachelor voice.

Later, I saw Toy Story 3 with a couple of other friends (one of whom kindly got me in for free, since she worked at the theater).  It was FANTASTIC.  I was impressed with the movie right from the start.  It was definitely made for people my age, people who grew up with the first two movies.  All of the characters felt the same as ever, and all of the action, gags, bobs and weaves were perfect.  The plot... well, I won't spoil it, but it covers some really serious ground.  There's a climactic moment towards the end that, thematically, is the kind of thing you wouldn't expect from a G-rated movie. 

And tomorrow's back to jobhunting.

Today's song:  It's gotta be this.

Randy Newman - You've Got a Friend in Me

Today's thing:  I took a good amount of footage today for my eventual summer docu-narrative thing.  I'd say it works for today.

1 comment:

  1. I just got back from seeing the midnight showing on the west coast.

    It was the perfect cathartic experience I needed.

    And you were right, streams of tears were had, but they weren't manly in the slightest. There has not been an experience that has allowed me the brief thrill of feeling childish again to such a beautiful extent. I gasped at the surprises, laughed at all the jokes and didn't see a single twist, even at it's cusp. And every touching scene made me tear up, but for so many more reasons than the plot and characters could achieve.

    I sorely miss my childhood, but I found the best way to let your inner child's hand go is to make sure you find another hand for it to grasp, even if it's for a short time.

    My hat's off to Pixar again and again. And I have a feeling I'll never run out of hats to tip in their direction as they gladly take my inner child's hand for a bit with a kind smile and warm, exuberant eyes, seemingly always eager to give.

    ReplyDelete